Monday, August 30, 2010

Let's Hit the Trail

I used to spend hours at the gym on treadmills, stationary bikes, stair climbers, I did it all! It was so hard to motivate myself to "run in place" on treadmill for even 20 minutes. No passing scenery, no breeze in my face, just a screen in front of me telling me how long I had been running. It was torture!

I cancelled my gym membership and decided to get my exercise in a more natural way. I thought I could do some resistance training at home, and go for runs around the neighborhood for cardio. So, I bought a jogging stroller/bike trailer so my girls could come along with me. It worked. I had figured out how to stay in decent shape without going to the gym.

The girls in our bike trailer.
Then, I discovered my trail, and it has made a world of difference for me! It's a 13 mile walking trail/bike path near my home. It is covered by trees, and absolutely surrounded by nature. It is breathtaking! My favorite moments in my day are usually spent on the trail. I can easily spend two hours out there and not even realize it! My torturous 20 minute runs have turned into 8 miles and I actually enjoy it! My girlies and I go for long walks, runs, and bike rides almost every morning. It is where I find peace, time to reflect, and get away from the hustle of daily life. It seems as though we are miles away from it all and on our own little adventure. I get to be free, run at my own pace, and take in some fresh air!

My amazing view while I run.
Being surrounded by nature has also deepened my appreciation for the earth and how important it is that we care for what God created for us. Everyday when I am out there, I am blown away by the beauty and detail that He put into it all for us. It absolutely inspires me!

The girls love it too (with the exception of a little arguing over who had what toy first, of course)! We see countless butterflies, birds, and squirrels (even some turtles and a possum once)! I think that it is so important for them to be able to enjoy creation too. To help them appreciate how wonderful the earth is in its natural state, so that they can understand why we need to care for it and preserve it.

I let Emma take some pictures while we were out one morning, and I loved what she captured. So interesting to see the world through her eyes.

Emma's view looking up into the trees
Her view from the trailer.
I love that I have found another way to live a bit more simply and naturally. I encourage you to try to find what you love doing in nature, whether it may be gardening, swimming, hiking, biking, or taking your dog for a walk. Find anything that gets you out of your daily grind and helps to bring you back to a simpler time, if only for a moment. Then, maybe we will appreciate the earth a little more and want to take better care of God's beautiful creation.   

1 comment: